This is the Department functioning since the establishment of the college (1961). The major goals of the department include
- Propagation of Marathi language and literature
- Development of the linguistic skills of students
- Overall personality development of students through various activities
- Seamless efforts to develop cultured & competent citizens
Faculty members of the department are actively engaged in research and most of them are the Ph.D holders. Prof. Dr. Ashok Limbekar and Prof. Dr. Rahul Hande are the approved research guides in Marathi for M.Phil course.
शहाणे करून सोडावे सकळजन
Regular activities of the department
- Celebration of 'Marathi Din' on 27th February every year with organization of different activities to develop and nourish the language with special reference to the writings of the veteran Marathi poet Kusumagraj.
- Organization of essay competition on the works of Marathi saint poet Dnyaneshwar by the parental organization, the S.P. Sanstha.
- Special coaching of SET/NET for the post graduate students
- Active participation in study tours and 'Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan'.
Awards & Recognitions
Head of the department Prof. Raghunath Kharat is the recipient of
- 'Sahitya Ratna Lokashahir Annabhau Sathe Puraskar'- Patron: Government of Maharashtra.
- 'Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Fellowship' : Bharatiya Dalit Sahitya Academy, New Delhi
- 'Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Samaj Sevak Puraskar': Maharashtra Dalit Sahitya Academy Bhusawal
- 'Adarsh Samaj Bhushan Puraskar' : Lokshahir Annabhau Sathe Sahitya Kala Academy