Being established in 1961, the Department of Sanskrit has been the pioneer department of the college. It has been blessed with many eminent faculties. With remarkable achievements in teaching, research, publication, extension & quality improvement, the department has accomplished a distinguished position in the university.
The department offers courses at undergraduate levels under the faculties Arts, Commerce and Science along with M. Phil and Ph. D. This is the only department with Research center in Sanskrit under Savitribai Phule Pune University except Dept. of Sanskrit in Savitribai Phule Pune University.
The Sanskritatma Shri Onkarnath Malpani Reserch Center oganizes some unique Aivities & Programmes
- Scholarships for students pursuing research in Sanskrit.
- Developing a Sanskrit library.
- Publication of Sanskrit Books.
- Honor erudite scholars contributing to a wide spread of Sanskrit language & learning in the society through Sanskritatma-puraskar.
- Till date, there are 28 students to whom M. Phil./Ph.D degrees have been awarded, whereas 08 students are pursuing for M.Phil/PhD.
Unique activities of Sanskrit Sanvardhan Mandal & Geervanbharati Mandal
- Sanskrit Din
- Sanskrit Shikshkanche Krutisatra
- Atharvashirsha Pathan Upakram
- Subhashitratrna Puraskar & Sanskrutatma Shri. Omkarnath Malpani Vyakaranaratna Spardha
- Shrimad Bhagvatgeeta Dnyanspardha
- Shrimad Bhagvatgeeta Pathantar Spardha
- Sambhashan Varga
- Sanskrit-Marathi-English Vividh Gundarshan Spardha
Objectives of the Department
- To make all-sided personality development of students.
- Organization & Participation of various programs, seminars &conference.
- To develop research attitude among students & faculty.
- To make awareness of extension of Sanskrit.
- To publish books and research papers articles.
- To make effective teaching by using I.T. Tools new technique & methods. To aware society about the conservation, augmenation & research in Manuscripts.
Our Mission Statement
To Make Sanskrit easy to understand, emphasize its importance, conserve Indian Culture, work towards globalization of Sanskrit, introduce various fields like scientific literature.
Department is proud recipient of
- First Prize of Competition ‘5 S’ for NAAC 2009-10, in memory of Late Shri Omkarnath Malpani.
- Best Department Prize for Student Research Project Competition 2012-13 to 2018-2019, in memory of Late Shri Omkarnath Malpani & Late Shri M. V. Kaundinya. Continues participation of more than 15,000 students from many schools in Sanskarit Vividha Gunadarshan Spardha in last 36 years.
- Geeta Dnyan Spardha 2013-2018 organized by Shri Kshetra Jalicha Dev.B6
Courses run by the department